Happy Memorial Day! Ok, so the biggest sales of the season are this weekend so it is time to stock up on summer wardrobe staples. To help you out I made a basic summer wardrobe checklist.
SUMMER ESSENTIALS CHECKLIST:
1.Sunglasses: On trend for sunnies this summer are four options. a. retro shapes, b. classic aviators, c. mirrored lens or, d. rounds.
2.Sunscreen: Zinc Based and non chemical. Those are my two criteria. Try Sun bum, Honest Kids, ZO Oclispe, or EltaMD.
3.Sunhat: Wide Brim, Fedora, or classic straw are my personal faves.
4.Beach Bag: Large tote in natural fibers and playful prints to carry all your gear.
5. Sandals: Flip flops and gladiators are a summer must. Obviously, I'm rarely without my in-town fave, Rainbows.
6. Summer sneakers: Tide pools await, friends! Explore in beloved vans, Converse, New Balance, retro-Nikes, or Stan Smith Originals from Adidas.
7. Windbreaker: When the fog rolls in, stay shielded. I always keep mine in my car. Love it in a baby blue or olive green.
8. Coverup: You can't go wrong with white lace, crochet, or a kimono.
9. Sundress: You need at least 3. The summer wardrobe workhorse. White, denim, and a print.
10. Cut offs: In white, light fade, or destroyed. I still love Targets for $15.
11. All other shorts: I like highwaisted cuts this season with spaghetti strapped camisoles and gladiators. Gap, Target, Zara, and Nordstrom have great options.
12. Tanks: In lace, linen, and silk. Racerbank, spaghetti strapped, off the shoulder are all popular shapes.
13. Swimsuit: Just buy the right size. Please. And have fun mixing prints on top and bottom. Go HERE to learn the best swimsuit for your body type. Modesty is making a huge comeback with retro highwaisted suits and killer one pieces. Yes, I cannot believe I can even write "Killer" and "One Piece" in the same sentence but this season it really has happened. My favorite brands for swim are Vix, Luli Fama, Mikoh, Maaji, and SeaFolly.
14. Beach Towel: I love the round Beach People towel or a classic Mexican blanket. My friend Steph just brought me back a beautiful brilliant striped piece of fabric from Peru that I plan on camping out on all summer.
15. White Sweater: no brainer. Just make sure it's cozy.
16. Oversized white button-down to multitask as coverup, shirt, dress, etc.
17. A good read: If you haven't read Darling Magazine yet, then order it immediately. You will be inspired, motivated, and empowered to become a woman of beauty and grace for all the right reasons.
18. A summer scent: Because the warmer weather calls for a lighter more tropical scent... and no, the smell of your Carribean Cool deodorant by Teen Spirit won't cut it.
19. A summer playlist: So many new albums out to add to your Spotify playlist. Mumford and Sons, Vance Joy, Liz Vice (who I just stumbled upon and love) and Birdy are all good summer choices. Don't forget about the old school choices either like Chris Isaac's Baja Sessions, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Buddy Holly, etc...
20. A summer ready mani/pedi: I default to white but am enjoying switching out with gray-blues, taupes, and indigos. Favorite Brands are Essie, SpaRitual, ButterLondon, and Deborah Lippman. All available at NORDSTROM.
MANY OF THESE ITEMS CAN BE FOUND IN MY SHOP. CLICK HERE!.
XOXO - V
"SPLURGE" - DRESS: Anthropologie. Shoes: Old. Similar Here. Bag: Nordstrom. Jewelry: Gorjana.
"SAVE" - Dress: Forever21. Bag: Nordstrom
Photography: Rod Foster